Weatherizing and Insulating the Building Envelope: Creating a Durable, Leak Free, and Energy Efficient Building
Duration: 2.5 hours
CEU: 2.0, Approved by NARI
CEU: 1.5, Approved by BPI
Check out the video here to learn more!
Course Description: Energy costs are driving building standards to a new level in efficiency, coupled with newly revised building codes and consumer need for affordable comfort. It is critical contractors are keeping up to date with the latest in building performance standards. These two, one hour sessions will help guide you towards making homes efficient, durable and healthy.
- Identify the building envelope
- Select appropriate materials to create an efficient, durable and healthy building at the exterior
- Follow safety guidelines
- Install the materials to applicable codes, specifications and standards.
- Check the work for quality
Session 1 - Weatherizing the Exterior (60 Minutes):
- Short introduction to Building Science
- Weather resistant barrier systems / Housewrap installation: Codes, Standards and Specifications
- Understanding the Drainage Plane & Rainscreens
- Window and Flashing Installation Details
- Best Practices: Selecting and Applying Caulks, Sealants and Flashing
Session 2 - High Performance Insulation (60 Minutes):
- Insulation Primer: Evolution of Insulation, How we arrived at this point.
- Codes, Standards and Specifications
- State of the Art Insulation
- Air Sealing: What does it have to do with Insulation
- Batt Insulation
- Loose Fill/ Dense Pac
- Rigid Foam Board
- Spray Foam, SPF
- Five Key Tips to Excellent Insulation Results
Bill Robinson, Trainer from Train2Build - Bill Robinson is a nationally recognized construction trainer and consultant specializing in improving building performance: energy, moisture management, and healthy living environments. Bill presents regularly at trade shows including JLC Live, The Remodeling Show and the International Builder’s Show. He has written several articles on moisture management, door and window installation for Journal of Light Construction, Fine Homebuilding and other publications and web sites. Currently he is working as a Building Science Educator for LSU AgCenter. As a training contractor through train2Build and train2reBuild, he uses best practices and materials to make homes efficient, durable and healthy.
Rick Arnold has worked hands-on in the construction industry for over 30 years with emphasis on Building Science for the last 20. Rick provides education to building professionals (Builders, Remodelers, Architects, Building Officials) through published articles and books and also through live presentations in numerous locations across the United States. National Tradeshow Clinics and Seminars – Topics include; Energy Efficient Construction, Weatherization, Mold prevention, Optimum Value Engineering, Framing, Roofing, Ventilation, Siding, Rain screens, Window/door installations. International Builders Show, JLC Live, Remodelers Show, Deck Expo, SEBC, Northeastern Retail Lumbermans Associations’s, and Pacific Coast Builders Conference
Choose a Location & Register:
|11/29/12||7-9:30am||Green Bay, WI||Register >|
|12/20/12||7-9:30am||Beaverton, OR||Register >|